The New York Association on Independent Living (NYAIL) is seeking a Communications Specialist to assist the organization in developing and implementing a communication strategy to increase the visibility and presence of the Association and its member Independent Living Centers. This is a new position.
NYAIL is a state-wide, non-profit organization, working with Independent Living Centers across the State to eliminate physical, communications, attitudinal, and other barriers for people with disabilities. NYAIL members are Independent Living Centers (ILCs), consumer controlled, cross-disability providers of advocacy, services and supports to people with disabilities.
Duties and Responsibilities: The Communications Specialist will develop and guide the strategy for all communications and will manage all communications plan activities and build external relationships with the organization's constituencies, including key stakeholders, public officials, media, board, and staff. This role will work closely with the Executive Director and the Director of Advocacy on issues that impact people with disabilities in the areas of health, election reform, employment, housing, inclusive education, and transportation.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
• Draft electronic communications, including e-Blasts, e-News, website and other electronic communications.
• In collaboration with NYAIL staff and board, create informational brochures and fliers on NYAIL programs, the work of ILCs, the status of people with disabilities in NY, priority issues, etc.
• Work with the Director of Advocacy on messaging for advocacy campaigns geared toward a variety of stakeholders.
• Refine and maintain an up-to-date website that will serve as critical public interface, ensuring a dynamic online presence
• Curate content and increase audience engagement on social media channels.
• Develop a policy and plan for media relations, plan press conferences, and prepare press releases, talking points, presentations, and other supporting materials as needed.
• Edit written materials as needed.
• Assist in the planning and execution of NYAIL’s biennial statewide conference, with prime responsibility for sponsor outreach to increase event revenue.
• Bachelor’s degree, preferably in communications, public relations or related field.
• Previous experience developing and managing organizational communications, preferred.
• Experience managing and executing across several communications media and strong social media skills
• Strong writing and copywriting skills, required
• Experience with Microsoft Office Suite, required
• Experience with Adobe Creative Suite, preferred
• Experience with Wordpress and/or HTML preferred
• Willing to execute day-to-day tasks and work independently
• Strong time management skills and a desire to “get the job done”
• Willingness to share own ideas, even amongst senior staff and board members
• Ability to prioritize and follow through effectively
• Experience with the concepts of Independent Living, consumer control, and a strong commitment to promote and advocate for the full integration of individuals with disabilities.
• Personal experience with disability a plus.
This is an Albany-based position. Some travel within NYS may be required.
Salary and Benefits:
This position can be full or part time. NYAIL offers a generous benefit package and competitive salary commensurate with experience.
How to Apply:
Please send resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Include “Communications Specialist” and your last name in subject line.